Re: Need some info on Postgresql

From: "Scott Marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Suresh Gupta VG" <suresh(dot)g(at)zensar(dot)com>
Cc: "Peter Koczan" <pjkoczan(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Need some info on Postgresql
Date: 2008-01-04 02:23:23
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Jan 3, 2008 5:33 AM, Suresh Gupta VG <suresh(dot)g(at)zensar(dot)com> wrote:

> Hi Team,
>
> I am using Postgresql 7.4.2 version on Solaris.

You need to update to 7.4.18 or whatever the last version was. 7.4.2
has known data eating bugs, and if you value your data even a little,
you should update. this is a relatively painless update not requiring
a dump / restore.

> There are number of tables
> say about 30+ tables in our database. I started to "reindex" the tables
> individually. "reindex table <<table name>>". All the queries executed
> normally with less than 1 minute of duration. But one table is not
> responding any thing even after 10 minutes. The details of the table are …

I've had large tables take well over 10 minutes on 7.4 to reindex.
That's not necessarily a sign of a problem. How many rows does this
table have? Do you get any kind of error message or the database just
never returns. Have you tried vacuum full on this table instead? Do
the logs say anything about the reindex operation getting an error
etc???

> Can you please tell me why it not executing this command on the particular
> table and I am the owner of the DB? Can you please suggest some thing.

Is it really not executing? Is it simply returning without a notice,
or hanging?

> We
> found these days, the database is taking more time to execute any query. We
> are doing "vacuum Verbose analyze" regularly at low traffic time.

You would do well to consider a migration to 8.2.5 or 8.3 when it
comes out of beta / RC status. 7.4.x is getting rather old, and the
8.x series (8.0, 8.1, 8.2, and now 8.3) have each had major
improvements in speed.