Need some info on Postgresql

From: "Suresh Gupta VG" <suresh(dot)g(at)zensar(dot)com>
To: "Peter Koczan" <pjkoczan(at)gmail(dot)com>, <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Need some info on Postgresql
Date: 2008-01-03 11:33:28
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi Team,

I am using Postgresql 7.4.2 version on Solaris. There are number of
tables say about 30+ tables in our database. I started to "reindex" the
tables individually. "reindex table <<table name>>". All the queries
executed normally with less than 1 minute of duration. But one table is
not responding any thing even after 10 minutes. The details of the table
are ...

1) it had 5 column, out of it, one is primary key.

2) There are only 5 rows in it.

3) see this entry for index on that table

Schema | Name | Type |
Owner | Table

------------+------------------------------+---------+----------+-------
---------------

public | currency_pkey | index |
pgsql | currency

Can you please tell me why it not executing this command on the
particular table and I am the owner of the DB? Can you please suggest
some thing. We found these days, the database is taking more time to
execute any query. We are doing "vacuum Verbose analyze" regularly at
low traffic time.

Regards,

G. V. Suresh Gupta

Innovative Technology Solutions(ITS), Zensar Technologies

Zensar Knowledge Park, Plot#5, MIDC IT Tower,

Kharadi, Off Nagar Road, Pune - 411014

Landline : +91-20-66453471 | +91-9890898688

Email : suresh(dot)g(at)zensar(dot)com | website: www.zensar.com
<http://www.zensar.com/>