Re: replication in Postgres

From: "Scott Marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Glyn Astill" <glynastill(at)yahoo(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: "Jeff Larsen" <jlar310(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: replication in Postgres
Date: 2007-11-26 19:25:18
Lists: pgsql-general

On Nov 26, 2007 1:02 PM, Glyn Astill <glynastill(at)yahoo(dot)co(dot)uk> wrote:
> It it possible to get a system that does syncronous replication and
> also allows slaves to catch up if they're down for a period of time
> like you can with asyncronous?

Ummm, if one server falls behind, and the other keeps going, that, by
definition, is not synchronous.

In a synchronous system, you either wait for the other system to catch
up, or declare it dead to the world and keep going without it.

I do like the recommendation of setting up a pair of synch masters and
having one feed a slony slave for big nasty queries.

> Of course a grid or a clustwer is better to makesure all servers are
> in sync, but there's performance issues with the 2 phase commit isn't
> there?

ayup. The most important word you can learn to use when talking about
replication and clustering is TANSTAAFL. There ain't no such thing as
a free lunch.

> Just for the record I'm a programmer, not a database person really,
> so I only know the basics.

Stick around, you'll learn plenty here. Admittedly a little bluntly
at times. :)