Re: It's time to support GRANT SELECT, UPDATE, ..., ..., ... ON database.* to username

From: "Scott Marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "dterrors(at)hotmail(dot)com" <dterrors(at)hotmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: It's time to support GRANT SELECT, UPDATE, ..., ..., ... ON database.* to username
Date: 2007-10-01 20:14:02
Lists: pgsql-general

On 9/30/07, dterrors(at)hotmail(dot)com <dterrors(at)hotmail(dot)com> wrote:

> I don't care if it's part of the SQL standard or not. I don't care if
> oracle does it or not. You're losing mysql converts as they go
> through the tutorial and get to this point.

If that's all it takes for them to switch, seriously, I'd rather see
them go. There are other solutions, like using a role instead of a
user for the target of the permissions.

> There's like a hundred posts asking for this for the past four years,
> and all they get in response is standards nazi's saying it won't be
> supported because it's not in the standard

Ummm. no. I've never seen that response. I have seen plenty of
people saying that no one's had the urge to hack it into working code.
Also, a common answer is to use roles (i.e. groups) for such things.
grant permission to the role, add users to the role, all done.

> and telling them to write
> their own functions.

About 75% of the time I see that response, it comes with the actual
code to do just that. I.e. cut and paste and voila, you've got the
functions.

> You write the function. Fuck the standard and
> wake up.

Me? What about you? The fact is there's a limited number of hackers
capable of writing what you're asking for cleanly and correctly, and
they're working on other stuff. Asking them politely has been know to
work. Using the F word not so much.