quoting

From: "Aaron W(dot) West" <tallpeak(at)hotmail(dot)NO(dot)SPAM>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: quoting
Date: 2004-06-30 05:12:09
Lists: pgsql-sql

I'm not a pgsql user, but reading chapter 37 of the user docs -
plpgsql-statements.html, I see that PL/pgsql requires quotes around FUNCTION
and PROCEDURE text, and I just want to comment that that seems like a rather
unfortunate decision. I like MS SQL's batch separation with GO better, but
lacking that, might there be an optional different quoting syntax, perhaps
like the HEREDOC syntax of bash or Perl, or like Perl's q() or qq() quoting
operators (or q{}, q[], etc)?

At least new users would be able to write their pl/pgsql commands in syntax
that doesn't require 2, 4, 8, or more single quote characters to represent
one.