Re: JAVA vs PERL : PERL wins to postgreSQL

From: Rene Pijlman <rene(at)lab(dot)applinet(dot)nl>
To: andy <andy(at)exkom(dot)co(dot)za>
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: JAVA vs PERL : PERL wins to postgreSQL
Date: 2001-09-03 17:48:54
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

On Mon, 03 Sep 2001 07:47:29 +0200, you wrote:
>I ran a few bench marks on JAVA writing to a postgreSQL table using and
>found that for the same number of records added to the table as a
>similar PERL routine the following results :
> PERL 39 seconds : JAVA 45 Seconds.
>In a similar experiment where PERL and JAVA did treir output to the
>screen and not to a table,

Can you tell us some more about the algorithm?

Is it one process with one connection, or are you restarting the
Java application many times? What are the queries it executes?
Is autocommit on or off?

What JDK/JRE did you use? I've heard that the IBM JDK performs
well. It would be interesting to give it a try. Its a free
download on http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/java/

Regards,
René Pijlman <rene(at)lab(dot)applinet(dot)nl>