Re: createdb errors and more

From: Rikard Bosnjakovic <rikard(dot)bosnjakovic(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Reno Bladergroen <reno(dot)bladergroen(at)telenet(dot)be>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: createdb errors and more
Date: 2009-11-16 17:16:35
Lists: pgsql-general

On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 17:55, Reno Bladergroen
<reno(dot)bladergroen(at)telenet(dot)be> wrote:

> I installed pgsql according to the manual, generated a data folder, changed ownership to postgres, switched user postgres and initialized the database. starting the database is also successful (status says running).

[...]

I assume you are talking about the steps similiar to the ones listed
under 14.1 Short Version here;
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.0/interactive/installation.html. If
so, peek around the logfile produced for postmaster and see if you can
find anything useful in there.

To me, the problems sounds like the initdb-command failed somehow,
since you get the message "could not connect to server", but it could
also mean that the server actually did not start. What happens if you
do "telnet localhost 5432"? If you get a reply, the server is atleast
up and running.

--
- Rikard