importing a pre sql db

From: SierraAdm(at)aol(dot)com
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: importing a pre sql db
Date: 1998-08-04 21:38:21
Lists: pgsql-sql

I have, as user postgres, created the database wc_fields via createdb.
Now I wish to create some tables.
The man pages - man copy - tell me how to copy values.
How do I set up my table definitions from an external file?
I would like to convert my existing table definition which is in the form
database wc_fields
file wc_members
field wc_last_name type character length 20
... more such fields ...
I can convert that to
create table wc_members (
wc_last_name char(20),
... more such ... )
How do I get it in as the table definition?
After that I can edit existing data and use the copy from command .
Now is this a novice question or an sql question -
that is why I posted in two places.