-c argument not recognized

From: Antonio Ruggiero <aruggiero02(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: -c argument not recognized
Date: 2009-11-10 15:26:56
Lists: pgsql-general

I am running PostgresSQL 8.3.8 on windows XP-64Bit. I am using psql
client from the PostgreSQL installation and not the Cygwin client.

My issue is that the command line argument "-c command" is not
recognized. For example, if I run (from Cygwin)

psql -h localhost -p 5432 -d $database postgres -c "select count(*)
from $table_name"

I receive the following output:

psql: warning: extra command-line argument "-c" ignored
psql: warning: extra command-line argument "select count(*) from
$table_name" ignored

Type: \copyright for distribution terms
\h for help with SQL commands
\? for help with psql commands
\q to quit

Warning: Console code page (437) differs from Windows code page (1252)
8-bit characters might not work correctly. See psql reference
page "Notes for Windows users" for details.

End output.

If I put the query in a file and run the file from the command line,
then it works fine. Furthermore, it appears I have all the necessary
priviledges since I can create/delete/modify tables in the database -
as long as the sql code is in a script file.

I will add that this code runs on an XP-32Bit 8.2 install and I
recently installed PostgreSQL on the XP-64Bit machine.

Thanks for any insight you can provide.