Re: connecting to linux server from windows xp

From: Sebastian Scarano <opensas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "A(dot) Kretschmer" <andreas(dot)kretschmer(at)schollglas(dot)com>, pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: connecting to linux server from windows xp
Date: 2005-11-14 15:52:32
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hi

I think that the browser is adding some http:// stuff in front of my
ip addresses config.

I'll replace the dots "." with hypens "-". You'll see there's no
"http://" anywhere to be found...

---

tux data # cat pg_hba.conf | tail -n 9
# TYPE DATABASE USER CIDR-ADDRESS METHOD

local all all trust
# IPv4 local connections:
host all all 127-0-0-1/32 trust
host all all 192-168-0-0/16 password
# IPv6 local connections:
host all all ::1/128 trus
---

From the windows xp guest I opend a shell and tried with

telnet tux 5432 but it couldn't connect

So I tried with telnet 192.168.103.1 5432 and it did connected for a
few seconds.

And the, back to pgadminIII, i replaced tux with the ip address and I
could connect!!!!

Anyway, I'd like to know why I can connect from a windowx xp client to
a postgresql server running con a windows xp with the server name, but
with a server running in linux I have to use the ip address

Saludos and thanks

Sas