Re: Playing with PostgreSQL and Access VBA

From: "Jeff Eckermann" <jeff_eckermann(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Playing with PostgreSQL and Access VBA
Date: 2005-04-25 15:58:05
Lists: pgsql-general

"Tony Caduto" <tony_caduto(at)amsoftwaredesign(dot)com> wrote in message
> In a real application that uses a client/server type database you should
> NEVER construct queries that return a million rows.
> You have to keep in mind that each record has to be sent accross the wire
> via TCP/IP and it is going to take a lot of time to bring back 1 million
> rows and I am sure your network admin would notice increased network
> traffic.
>
> In a real application you would use something like the Delphi Tdataset
> based components which will only bring back the records that can be seen
> on the screen, then when you scroll, it brings back more.
>
> you can manually create something like this using Postgresql handy LIMIT
> and OFFSET sql keywords in your query to build a paging system.
>
> Access is actually a very poor choice for client/server application
> development, like I said before, invest some time learning Delphi, it's

Access may be a poor choice for a Delphi developer to use. But for many of
us, it's an excellent choice. Everything depends on your situation and on
your needs.

The OP is starting from ground zero in learning about Access (or anything,
apparently) and client-server apps. Of course there will be difficulty,
regardless of the choice of interface.