Re: options for launching sql script asynchronously from web app

From: "Nikolas Everett" <nik9000(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Ivan Sergio Borgonovo" <mail(at)webthatworks(dot)it>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: options for launching sql script asynchronously from web app
Date: 2008-11-08 01:49:47
Lists: pgsql-general

Authenticate in web app and drop a script in a directory and run them with
cron maybe?
Authenticate in web app and drop a row in a table and let a long running
process suck the row out and kick something off in a thread pool?

I've seen both. You've got to monitor both somehow. The second one is much
more work but lets you do more with the output and gives you a nice thread
pool. There might be a simple bash-ie way to make a thread pool, but I
don't know it.

--Nik