Leftover TEMPORARY tables?

From: jboes(at)nexcerpt(dot)com (Jeff Boes)
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Leftover TEMPORARY tables?
Date: 2003-04-23 17:02:25
Lists: pgsql-admin

I just noticed that there are a number of tables in our schema with
names fo the form pg_temp_*; these correspond to temporary tables
created by our application, but they shouldn't still exist. Under what
circumstances would a temporary table become permanent? Would it
happen if the backend exited abnormally? Is there any way, short of
bouncing the database, to determine which tables are NOT in use by the
application?