Re: Auto creation of Partitions

From: NikhilS <nikkhils(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Shane Ambler" <pgsql(at)sheeky(dot)biz>
Cc: "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <jim(at)nasby(dot)net>, "Jim Nasby" <decibel(at)decibel(dot)org>, "Peter Eisentraut" <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Auto creation of Partitions
Date: 2007-03-09 06:23:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

Hi,

> This follows on from the suggestion I made - taken along the lines of
> the subject "auto creation of partitions" where I suggested the syntax
> of partition check(month of mydatecol) and have a new partition created
> as data was entered. With this scenario dropping the partition when it
> was empty would complement the creation of a new partition as needed.
>
> Given that there seems to be no real support of going with "auto
> maintenance" were new partitions are added as needed, then the auto
> dropping of empty partitions would also not apply.
>
> Leaving us with only specific add partition / drop partition commands.
> And have the parent table pick up rows not matching any partition check
> criteria.

I was thinking along the lines of what Jim had suggested earlier regarding
overflow partition. Instead of dumping unmatched rows to the master table,
we could put them into a default "DUMP/DUMB" partition.

Given that Simon wants to do away with having the master table APPENDed in
the planning phase, this would be better.

Regards,
Nikhils