Re: Frequent Update Project: Design Overview of HOT Updates

From: NikhilS <nikkhils(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Gregory Stark" <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: "Zeugswetter Andreas ADI SD" <ZeugswetterA(at)spardat(dot)at>, "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Simon Riggs" <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Frequent Update Project: Design Overview of HOT Updates
Date: 2006-11-10 13:08:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

> I think the vision is that the overflow table would never be very large
> because it can be vacuumed very aggressively. It has only tuples that are
> busy
> and will need vacuuming as soon as a transaction ends. Unlike the main
> table
> which is mostly tuples that don't need vacuuming.

Thats right. vacuum if it gets a chance to work on the overflow relation
seems to be doing a decent job in our runs. If autovacuum/vacuum gets to run
optimally, the FSM information generated for the overflow relations will be
able to serve a lot of new tuple requests avoiding undue/large bloat in
the overflow relations.

Regards,
Nikhils