Additional stats for Relations

From: NikhilS <nikkhils(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Additional stats for Relations
Date: 2006-10-13 12:47:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

Currently a "select * from pg_statio_user_tables;" displays only
heap_blks_read, heap_blks_hit stats amongst others for the main relation. It
would be good to have the following stats collected too. I think these stats
can be used to better statistically analyze/understand the block I/O
activity on the relation:

heap_blks_reused: The number of buffers returned by the FSM for use to store
a new tuple in

heap_blks_extend: The number of times file extend was invoked on the
relation

heap_blks_truncate: The total number of blocks that have been truncated due
to vacuum activity e.g.

As an addendum to the truncate stats above, we can also have the additional
following stats:

heap_blks_maxtruncate: The max block of buffers truncated in one go

heap_blks_ntruncate: The number of times truncate was called on this
relation

I can come up with a patch (already have one) for the above. Any
thought/comments?

Regards,
Nikhils
(www.enterprisedb.com)
--
All the world's a stage, and most of us are desperately unrehearsed.