Re: [BUGS] Integrity check

From: Scott Mead <scott(dot)lists(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
Cc: "Prasad, Venkat" <venkat(dot)prasad(at)credit-suisse(dot)com>, PostgreSQL General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [BUGS] Integrity check
Date: 2009-06-24 22:45:58
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-general

2009/6/23 David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>

> On Tue, Jun 23, 2009 at 03:38:35PM +0800, Prasad, Venkat wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > Please can you assist on following questions.
>
> This is an issue for pgsql-general, where I'm redirecting this.
> >
> > * do you any tool to check postgreSQL database integrity check?
>
> No more than Oracle does. We get it right in the first place. The
> existence of "integrity checking" tools means the DBMS is done with
> high incompetence.

It depends on what you mean by integrity. If you mean "Does the database
have the data I THINK it's supposed to have".. that's all up to you when you
design your schema (FK's, Unique, etc..) and your app developers:

'Where thou wouldst type foo, someone else would surely type
supercalafragilisticexpialadocious'
(paraphrased)

If you're asking "Does the database have the ability to verify that
whatever is in a block is what was put into that block", then Oracle has
block check-summing (I'm not sure if this got into PG 8.4 or not...) . I'm
not sure if there is a checksum on the datafiles themselves, but I would
guess in the affirmative when talking Oracle.

> > * how do we confirm that dump file is proper data?

This is talking about "Does the database have what I think it
should?" and can't really be done unless you had some auditing system
setup to compare it to.

--Scott