Re: Swag for SCALE?

From: Jonathan Fuerth <fuerth(at)sqlpower(dot)ca>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Swag for SCALE?
Date: 2009-01-27 23:01:39
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 4:13 PM, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com> wrote:
>> All tools are GPL3 and work on Windows, Mac, and *nix.
>
> Oh! I didn't realize you'd gone OSS. Cool, I'll have to try your stuff.

Yes, Architect has been open since July 2007 and MatchMaker since November 2007.

> However, we made a couple of policies to make this work for our booths, and
> to help fund / staff going to conferences:
>
> 1) your company needs to be a "supporter" of PostgreSQL. Generally, this
> means that you either need to have a contributor on the payroll, or be
> hosting a postgresql.org server, or have donated to one of the various
> PostgreSQL non-profits, or be sending one of your staff to work a booth for
> an entire conference this year.

Hmm, all I can think of is that we were a silver sponsor at PGCon 2008
(which I'm guessing is completely different from donating to one of
the PostgreSQL non-profits) and I (on SQL Power's payroll) updated the
ODBC driver to the v3 backend protocol before those guys from
Pervasive did. I tried to contribute my changes, but nobody wanted to
look at my patch because I think there was some strategic value in
waiting for Pervasive (who did eventually come through a few months
later).

So I guess "close but no cigar."

> 2) One flyer per company.
>
> Since we usually give out around 1000 of those folders to interested
> developers and managers every year, it seems pretty fair to us to ask for
> something in return.

That's entirely fair. Thanks for filling me in!

-Jonathan