Re: pg_restore out of memory

From: Francisco Reyes <lists(at)stringsutils(dot)com>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Vivek Khera <vivek(at)khera(dot)org>, PostgreSQL general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_restore out of memory
Date: 2007-06-19 15:03:24
Lists: pgsql-general

Alvaro Herrera writes:

>> The OS size is 1.6GB, but today I am going to try increasing kern.maxssiz.
>> Vivek recommended increasing it

kern.maxssiz is the maximum stack size.
Increased to 512MB. Didn't help.

> The problem is probably the ulimit.

I did a shell script which continuously did ps auxwm |head -n >>SizePS.txt
as I tried to load the data using the copy command.

>> >In short, you need a bigger per-process memory allowance.

The program crashed right after it reached 895704 (874MB) in size and 400212
(390MB) resident.

> Can you send the program along? And the table definition (including
> indexes, etc)?

The problem, as far as I can tell, is the data.
I wrote the program to see if the problem was only with the "copy from".
The program without the data is not likely to be of much use.
I will see if I can get authorization to provide the data (1 record) and the
table structure. The data is about 60MB compressed though. The file was
created from using copy to, so to load it I just use
"copy <table> from '<file>'"