Re: pg_restore out of memory

From: Francisco Reyes <lists(at)stringsutils(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Vivek Khera <vivek(at)khera(dot)org>, PostgreSQL general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_restore out of memory
Date: 2007-06-18 19:12:25
Lists: pgsql-general

Tom Lane writes:

> Keep in mind though that the COPY process is going to involve several
> working copies of that data (at least four that I can think of ---
> line input buffer, field input buffer, constructed text object, and
> constructed tuple).

Will this be for the shared_buffers memory?

> I'm also not clear on whether the 512MB limit you refer to will count
> the PG shared memory area

The OS limit is set to 1.6GB.
I increased the shared_buffers to 450MB and it still failed.

> hundred meg off the top of what a backend can allocate as temporary
> workspace.

Is there anything I can change in my log settings so I can produce something
which will help you narrow down this problem?

> So it seems entirely likely to me that you'd need a ulimit above 512MB
> to push around 84MB fields.

The issue I am trying to figure is which limit.. the OS limit is set to
1.6GB. I am now trying to increase my shared_buffers. So far have them at
450MB and it is still failing.

Will also try the setting Vivek suggested although for that may need to
restart the machine.