Re: PostgreSQL website translations

From: "Adrian Maier" <adrian(dot)maier(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "PostgreSQL www" <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL website translations
Date: 2008-03-27 15:46:10
Lists: pgsql-www

On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 4:06 PM, Guillaume Lelarge
<guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info> wrote:
> Adrian Maier a écrit :

> >> Perhaps we could use a custom svn property for that? That would likely
> >> make it easier to process automatically to pull out differences and
> >> such. And perhaps some wrapper scripts around svn to help you set
> >> things automatically?
> >
> > I haven't used such custom properties. As long as such a property can
> > be set for individual files , it seems to be a better (more reliable) solution
> > compared to relying on comments. Some scripts for using this facility
> > would be a significant progress .
> >

> There's something I don't quite understand. What's the interest in
> having these comments (or custom svn properties) ?
>
> Tell me if I'm wrong. This is what we want to achieve :
> we want to know if a specific translated webpage is out of date
>
> Problem is :
> * translator checks out a file
> * during the translation, someone else checks out the file
> * and commit its changes
> * then translator commits its new translation
>
> Using the modification date doesn't help us because the translation file
> will be newer than the english one.
> Using the svn revision does not help us because the translation file
> will have a revision newer than the english one.
>
> So, your idea seems to put the revision of the english file in a comment
> or in a custom property. So, it's a manual change :
>
> * translator checks out a file
> * he updates the comment of the translation with the revision of the
> english file
> * he translates
> * he commits
>
> Is that right ?
>
> And when the web server needs to choose between the english file and the
> translated one, it parses the translated one to get the revision put in
> comments, it gets the current revision of the english files and it
> finally compares them ?
>
> Could work, but we still rely on the translator good will. No automatic
> process here. Or am I wrong ?

Actually , there are two different purposes :
1) detecting which translated pages went out-of-date
2) providing some reliable tools that help the translators to easily spot
the (English) modifications that they need to incorporate into their
translated texts.

I am primarily interested in (2) , because plain cvs/svn is not helpful
enough when translating .

As for (1) : it will never be possible to automatically ensure that a
translation is truly up-to-date . We'll need to trust the translators when
they claim they've updated some page . Especially when you don't
understand their language ...

--
Adrian Maier