Re: autovacuum process blocks without reporting a deadlock

From: "Thomas Chille" <thomas(at)chille(dot)de>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: autovacuum process blocks without reporting a deadlock
Date: 2007-11-27 16:22:57
Lists: pgsql-general

On Nov 27, 2007 4:52 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> You didn't happen to note what 9293 was doing did you? It's living
> fairly dangerously in any case by trying to acquire exclusive lock
> when it already holds a bunch of other lower-level locks; that's a
> recipe for deadlock if I ever saw one.
>
> regards, tom lane

Ah ok, 9293 is a triggerd process and tries to "ALTER TABLE ...
DISABLE TRIGGER (other trigger)" and so implicitly tries to acquire an
AccessExclusiveLock and runs in a deadlock?

So is better not to use "ALTER TABLE ... " in triggerfunctions,
because there are always existing lower-level locks?

regards,
thomas