Re: parallel.c is not marked as test covered

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>, Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>, Clément Prévost <prevostclement(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: parallel.c is not marked as test covered
Date: 2016-06-19 21:22:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 6/19/16 3:09 PM, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 19, 2016 at 11:36 AM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>>
>>> Before doing that test, we set force_parallel_mode=1, so it should always
>>> execute in worker which will ensure a stable output.
>>
>> No, it *might* execute in a worker. If you can get one.
>
> Right.

Well, the purpose of the test is to check the error passing between
worker and leader. If we just silently revert to not doing that, then
we can't really be sure that we're testing the right thing. We've
already seen some instances in this thread where we figured out after
some debugging that some construct is not actually going through the
parallel infrastructure, so I'm afraid if we leave it like this it might
silently change behavior at some point in the future.

Independent of that, it would help testing things like this if we
allowed setting max_worker_processes to 0, instead of the current
minimum 1. If there a reason for the minimum of 1?