Re: SQL99 - Nested Tables

From: Darren Alcorn <dalcorn(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: SQL99 - Nested Tables
Date: 2005-07-07 17:28:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I was mainly interested because of the simplicity it seems to add for
implementing an application using the database. While those accustomed to
writing SQL queries using joins and keys might prefer it for many
understandable reasons, there is something to be said for multidimensional
data structures. It would be like if you _had_ to have multiple arrays to
store information in C instead of using a multidimensional array.
I'm open to debate on the subject as I'd love to be convinced that Oracle is
wrong. I think the XML features are important and I'd be more suited writing
something more straight forward versus re-inventing the wheel. I brought it
up for debate, because I thought it was something that should be thought
about.
Darren Alcorn