HELP w/ SQL -- distinct select with non distinct fields?

From: rlyudmirsky(at)linkonline(dot)net (RVL)
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: HELP w/ SQL -- distinct select with non distinct fields?
Date: 2002-09-23 22:23:14
Lists: pgsql-sql

I'm work with Sybase on the Sun... and, being a clueles newbee in SQL
department, hope you could help. I have a set of data:

acct name qty link date memo
101 item_A 100 0001 9/2/02 blah
101 item_A 250 0001 9/3/02 n/a
101 item_A 80 0002 9/3/02 n/a
101 item_B 90 0002 8/8/02 n/a
101 item_B 120 0003 9/7/02 n/a
101 item_B 100 0003 9/2/02 abcd
102 item_B 100 0004 9/3/02 xyz
102 item_B 100 0004 9/7/02 xyz
102 item_C 15 0005 9/1/02 n/a
102 item_C 180 0005 9/5/02 n/a

I need it to be consolidated by [link] and sorted by [acct] [name] and
subtotaled by [qty]. This is easy if I don't use date and memo:
SELECT DISTINCT acct, name, sum(qty), link FROM item_list
GROUP BY acct, name, link ORDER BY acct, name, line

acct name qty link
101 item_A 350 0001
101 item_A 170 0002
101 item_B 220 0003
102 item_B 200 0004
102 item_C 195 0005

However, I want [date] and [memo] from the _first_ record of the group
to be included.

acct name qty link date memo
101 item_A 350 0001 9/2/02 blah
101 item_A 170 0002 9/3/02 n/a
101 item_B 220 0003 8/8/02 n/a
102 item_B 200 0004 9/3/02 xyz
102 item_C 195 0005 9/1/02 n/a

Fields [date] and [memo] are not diplicates, so I cannot consolidate
the set if I add them to SELECT. Is there another way to solve this?

Please help.
Thank you.

P.S. Please forward your reply to my email: rlyudmirsky(at)linkonline
Rostislav "Steve" Lyudmirsky
rlyudmirsky(at)linkonline(dot)net

http://rvlstuff.bizland.com