Trouble Restoring Database with Postgis Geometry

From: Johan Wehtje <genwolf(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Trouble Restoring Database with Postgis Geometry
Date: 2005-10-20 15:20:21
Lists: pgadmin-support

I am running Postgresql 8.03 on Windows XP proffessional installed
with 1.04Postgis.

I have a Database that I wanted to restore to another machine with an
identical Postgresql installation.

Creating the Dumpfile proceeds smoothly, but when I try to restore PgAdmin
hangs.

The Database has 2 schemas - public and a schema called shapes wich contains
exclusively Postgis geometry tables created originally using the shapefile
loader, but modfied with additional attributes.

It appears to be the second schema that is causing the problem, when I
reconnect I find that the Public schema appeared to get created, though
tables that had Geometry colunms are missing them, but the Shapes Schema
gets created but is completely empty.

The original database was encoded in SQL Ascii - and I did initially try to
use the dump restore to create a UTF8 version of the databse, but I get the
same problem when try to restore into a SQL Ascii Database.

I have restoring this Databse using Plain, Compresssed, Tar - I have tried
restoring on the same machine, I have tried restoring to Postgres 8.1 Beta 2
using PgAdmin 1.4.2 Beta 2, I have tried restoring to a Linux box on the
network also running 8.03 installed from source. I have tried using PgAdmin
on 4 different machines on my Network. All to no avail, each time I have
created a fresh dump.

I cannot see anything wrong with the tables in the shapes schema - I have
applications in MS Access, Arcview with SAFE connector, Autocad Map, Quantum
GIS and GRASS. All have no trouble with the shape tables. Given that there
are 340 tables I ma not looking forward to trying to do thsi table by table.

It is difficult to see theVerbose messages and see what is happening as
PgAdmin is in a hung state and the Restore window is unresponsive.

Cheers
Johan Wehtje