ISO something like "#if 0 ... #endif" for SQL code

From: "Kynn Jones" <kynnjo(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-general General" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: ISO something like "#if 0 ... #endif" for SQL code
Date: 2008-03-10 15:50:26
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi! When it comes to programming SQL, my newbie approach is to write my
code in a file test.sql, which I test from within psql by using

my_db=> \i /some/path/test.sql

...and (once I'm satisfied with the code) copy and paste it to a different
file that has the SQL I've written so far for the project.

It's a rather cumbersome system, all the more so because I don't have a
convenient way to comment out large chunks of code (which may include
C-style comments).

I'm thinking of something like the trick of surrounding C code with pairs of
#if 0 and #endif, which effectively comments out code, even when it contains
/* C-style comments */.

Is there some similar trick for SQL code?

TIA!

Kynn