Re: PostgreSQL's hashing function?

From: "Kynn Jones" <kynnjo(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Greg Stark" <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL's hashing function?
Date: 2008-02-23 13:41:38
Lists: pgsql-general

On Fri, Feb 22, 2008 at 8:12 PM, Greg Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:

You could use hashtext() which is Postgres's internal hash function.

Awesome!

> There's some possibility it could change in future versions of Postgres
> though.

I can live with that, especially if all that changes is the implementation,
and not its availability. The use I have in mind is strictly internal, so
the possibility that a given string may get a different hashkey if
PostgreSQL gets upgraded is no problem at all.

Thanks for the pointer! It's not in the docs, so I would have never found
it on my own... (It makes me wonder what other "hidden" PostgreSQL goodies
are out there. I know, I know, peeking behind the published API is evil...
I guess I'm a geek "in a state of sin", to use von Neumann's terms...)

kynn