Foreign keys and inheritance

From: "Kynn Jones" <kynnjo(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Foreign keys and inheritance
Date: 2007-11-19 19:36:21
Lists: pgsql-general

I have two classes of objects, A and B, where B is just a special case
of A. (I.e., to describe a B-type object I need to specify the same
fields as for an A-type object, plus a whole bunch additional fields
specific to B alone.) Furthermore, there's a third class T that is in
a many-to-one relation with A (and hence also B) objects.

The question is, what's the "best practice" for implementing this
situation in PostgreSQL. My first idea was to define B as inheriting
from A, which is OK, except that I have not figured out how to
implement the reference from T. Is inheritance indeed the right tool
for this problem, or should I use a different approach?

TIA!

kj