Re: size of bytea + performance issues

From: Jochen Schlosser <jochen(dot)schlosser(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>, tschak <jochen(dot)schlosser(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: size of bytea + performance issues
Date: 2006-01-31 19:15:44
Lists: pgsql-general

> Well, it's in the FAQ under "How much database disk space is required
> to store data from a typical text file?" but the per tuple overhead is
> between 36 and 44 bytes. depends a bit on the version.

allright... thx a lot!
I did not see this point in the FAQ because I am not storing data from
a textfile and did not look in that direction... What store is
basically a encoding scheme of several hash bins which store
distances. Thus it is just a bitvector and to the best of my knowledge
a bytea or varyiing bitarray is the most space efficient method to
store my information(???).

Thanks again,

Tschak