unstable postgres on freebsd

From: "Wes Sheldahl" <wes(dot)sheldahl(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: unstable postgres on freebsd
Date: 2006-10-20 21:05:53
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,

I seem to have an unstable/unreliable installation of postgresql, and I'm
not sure how to troubleshoot it.

Symptoms:
$ psql postgres
psql: FATAL: semctl(851974, 3, SETVAL, 0) failed: Invalid argument

(restart postgresql)
$ psql postgres
(rest of welcome message and psql prompt)

It will work fine for a while, but later it will stop accepting connections
with the above error, until I restart postgresql again. It also happens when
I call a ruby script that connects to postgres: fails with same error
message sometimes, but works after restarting postgresql.

Versions/Environment:
Postgresql 8.1.4 (installed from ports on FreeBSD 6.1)

I've already tried reinstalling the postgresql81-server and
postgresql81-client ports and their dependencies via portupgrade, but the
symptoms persist. What else should I try?

--
Wes Sheldahl
wes(dot)sheldahl(at)gmail(dot)com