Re: OLE DB driver

From: "William ZHANG" <uniware_at_zedware_dot_org(at)antispam(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: OLE DB driver
Date: 2004-01-10 02:32:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"Shachar Shemesh" <psql(at)shemesh(dot)biz> wrote:3FFF1607(dot)9090806(at)shemesh(dot)biz(dot)(dot)(dot)
> Andreas Pflug wrote:
>
> > I wonder if this could be implemented as a wrapper around libpq. This
> > way, the OLEDB driver would benefit from a proven piece of software.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Andreas
>
> That's what I'm doing. I'm not sure why other drivers didn't do that as
> well (maybe there was no native Windows port of libpq at the time?).

AFAIK, rely on libpq is a fast way but not always convenient.
OLEDB has many features borrowed from ODBC, and it is a
substitute for ODBC. Microsoft is now making ODBC obsolete and
advocating OLEDB instead. You'd better read pgodbc's source
code, too.