Re: PostgreSQL port to pure Java?

From: "Thomas Hallgren" <thhal(at)mailblocks(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL port to pure Java?
Date: 2003-12-26 21:22:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers

PostgreSQL runs beautifully together with JBoss (or any other J2EE platform)
using its current JDBC driver so the idea of a co-bundle is not far fetched
at all.

I'm not an advocate for a backend rewrite to Java. I'm however a firm
believer that Java and the J2EE platform will become (if it isn't already)
the major development platform in the Open Source community. I think it's
highly probable that PostgreSQL and Java will touch base in several areas in
the future.

I hope for a great future for PostgreSQL and I think that as it envolves it
will support concepts that might be increasingly hard to write and maintain
using plain C. A language with built-in support for OO semantics can be of
great help. IMO it's better to keep an open mind regarding the future and
the potential languages that might be used than to make remarks like the one
Mr. Poure just made.

Thomas Hallgren

"Jean-Michel POURE" <jm(at)poure(dot)com> wrote in message
Le Mardi 09 Dcembre 2003 16:15, Ivelin Ivanov a crit :
> I think that a co-bundle between an open source J2EE
> container like JBoss and a scalable database like
> PostgreSQL will be a blast.

Why not cut all trees on earth and replace them with plastic? Before that,
we
need to port mankind DNA to Windows 3.1 in order to improve speed.

(send "unregister YourEmailAddressHere" to majordomo(at)postgresql(dot)org)