Re: Leftover PID files

From: Frank Seesink <frank(at)mail(dot)wvnet(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Leftover PID files
Date: 2003-09-22 19:18:59
Lists: pgsql-cygwin

Jason Tishler wrote:
> Frank,
>
> On Sun, Sep 21, 2003 at 08:18:26PM -0400, Frank Seesink wrote:
>
>>[SIDE NOTE: Jason Tishler, in your email from 12 June 2003:
>> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.db.postgresql.cygwin/1283
>>
>>You mentioned this was fixed in CVS and would be in Cygwin 1.5.x. That
>>still the case?
>

> AFAICT, yes, by reading the code. However, I have not tested this
> functionality recently.
>

>>Should the issue of lingering PID files on system reboot be a by-gone?
>

> Yes, by this issue. Maybe there is another one lurking?

Well, can't speak for any new ones. Just did some testing on my
desktop (i.e., my 'test' environment :-) ), and seems PostgreSQL is now
getting enough time to shutdown when I restart Windows. No leftover PID
file. And yes, I disabled my startup service that deletes those for
this test.

And /var/log/postmaster.log shows

LOG: fast shutdown request
LOG: shutting down
LOG: database system is shut down

Not sure if a fast shutdown implies anything, but that last message and
the fact no PID file exists on restart makes me think PostgreSQL has
more time to shutdown now. Not sure if this is due to Windows, Cygwin,
various other changes in my system (we switched antivirus products a few
months back, for example, and file access times have improved), blah blah.

Speaking of which, one thing I DID find was that, upon restart, I found
that the CygIPC (ipc-daemon2) files in /tmp were left behind.
ipc-daemon2 is supposed to clean up after itself when it shuts down (and
it does when I manually shut it down). Possibly the issue of not
shutting down properly on a Windows shutdown/restart has migrated? :-)

Anyway, I still plan to have a cleanup script run at system startup, to
deal with any BSODs or other anomalies. But for what it's worth, things
seem to be better now than before.

>>And to be honest I've been off-list awhile so forgive the ignorance if
>>this was covered between then and now.]
>
> Welcome back -- the list has been too quiet lately. :,)

Thanks! Good to be back. Between travel/vacation, work, and my latest
pet project (getting Jabber server to run completely under Cygwin as it
does under *nix), kinda ran out of hours in the day. :-) Now I'm back
to integrating various things under Windows--Apache, PHPWiki, RADIUS
server, and now this Jabber server--with PostgreSQL. So trying to get
caught up. Amazing all you can do with PostgreSQL. ;-)