Tracking Down Error in Stored Procedure

From: "Aaron Bono" <postgresql(at)aranya(dot)com>
To: "sql pgsql" <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Tracking Down Error in Stored Procedure
Date: 2006-12-02 05:48:12
Lists: pgsql-sql

I have a nightly batch that runs a stored procedure/function. This
procedure has a habit of erroring on the first of each month and gives the
following:

ERROR: cannot EXECUTE a null querystring
CONTEXT: PL/pgSQL function "update_web_site_hits_fn" line 200 at execute
statement

My question is this: What is line 200? Is it the 200th line after the
CREATE part of the stored procedure? Or is it the 200th line after the
BEGIN? Or maybe something else? I have a possible culprit at both places
and don't know which one is the offender.

Also, if the EXECUTE is over many lines, is line 200 the first line of the
EXECUTE statement or the ending line of the EXECUTE (where the ; is)?

I am using PostgreSQL 8.1.3 on CENTOS Linux.

Thanks,
Aaron

Aaron Bono
Aranya Software Technologies, Inc.