Re: primary keys as TEXT

From: "Aaron Bono" <postgresql(at)aranya(dot)com>
To: "Manlio Perillo" <manlio_perillo(at)libero(dot)it>
Cc: "Michael Glaesemann" <grzm(at)seespotcode(dot)net>, pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: primary keys as TEXT
Date: 2006-07-31 19:34:49
Lists: pgsql-sql

On 7/31/06, Manlio Perillo <manlio_perillo(at)libero(dot)it> wrote:

> Because serial ids are only surrogate keys.
> My tables have well definited primary keys, the only problem is that
> they are of type TEXT (and spawn up to 3 columns).
>
> My concern is: how bad can be performance?

My guess is that the performance difference is not going to be noticable
unless you are dealing with huge amounts of data and even then may account
for such a small hit that there will be other issues that are more pressing
like writing better queries, creating a data warehouse or adding proper
indexes and keeping the indexes well maintained.

Anyone care to disagree?

Aaron Bono
Aranya Software Technologies, Inc.
http://www.aranya.com