Re: Hiding table structure information

From: "Aaron Bono" <postgresql(at)aranya(dot)com>
To: "Bruno Wolff III" <bruno(at)wolff(dot)to>, "Aaron Bono" <postgresql(at)aranya(dot)com>, "Jonah H(dot) Harris" <jonah(dot)harris(at)gmail(dot)com>, carlosreimer(at)terra(dot)com(dot)br, rodrigo(dot)sakai(at)zanthus(dot)com(dot)br, pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Hiding table structure information
Date: 2006-06-27 18:18:18
Lists: pgsql-admin

> > Would there be a way to set up the 2 databases - one with the tables and
> > data and the other that connects to the first with views into the second
> > database?
> >
> > Actually I am interested because I will soon need to set up a way to
> feed
> > data to multiple databases and would love to have a stored procedure or
> > trigger that, when the data is updated in one database, the changes are
> > propagated to all the other databases.
>
> There is a contrib package dblink that will do at least some of what you
> want.

I will look into dblink. Thanks!

You might also see if just separating stuff into different schemas will
> be good enough for you. That would allow you to have separate name spaces
> but still be able to reference tables in other schemas efficiently.

Actually most of the updates will be in the same database but different
schemas as you suggest. Unfortunately, due to client requirements, not
everything will be structured that way. I may have some other options
though...