Re: Start up question about triggers

From: "Aaron Bono" <postgresql(at)aranya(dot)com>
To: "Forums (at) Existanze" <forums(at)existanze(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Start up question about triggers
Date: 2006-06-22 16:03:17
Lists: pgsql-sql

Why not just create a history table and have the trigger copy the data out
of the table into the history table with a time stamp of the change. Then
you don't need the query.

For example
Table A
a_id,
a_value1,
a_value2

Table A_hist
a_id,
a_dt,
a_value1,
a_value2

Then A_hist has a PK of a_id, a_dt

This would also be a lot easier to see WHAT changed and WHEN. You can use
the NEW.col and OLD.col to see the new and old values during inserts and
updates.

Of course, I don't know your need so this may not be achieving your goal.

-Aaron Bono