Re: BUG #15587: Partitions with ALTER TABLE ADD CONSTRAINT

From: Jesper Pedersen <jesper(dot)pedersen(at)redhat(dot)com>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #15587: Partitions with ALTER TABLE ADD CONSTRAINT
Date: 2019-01-15 19:45:03
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Hi,

On 1/15/19 2:35 PM, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> On 2019-Jan-15, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> writes:
>>> I haven't investigated this angle. It seems more complex than just a
>>> simple bugfix, right?
>>
>> Wouldn't that be throwing away the entire point of the ONLY behavior,
>> ie to allow the component indexes to be built one at a time, without
>> holding locks across the whole partition tree?
>
> I now see that Jesper was talking about a completely different thing
> than I was thinking. I agree with you there -- it makes no sense to
> reject that command ... particularly because pg_dump uses it.

I now think Tom is correct that it is UX and documentation issue, and
changing the existing behavior is probably not a good thing.

Changing "invalid" to "incomplete" would be a good idea. Maybe "partial"
could be a good descriptor if not all partitions shares the unique
constraint.

Best regards,
Jesper