Re: Warm standby failover mechanism

From: Thom Brown <thombrown(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Warm standby failover mechanism
Date: 2009-02-25 09:26:26
Lists: pgsql-general

Thanks for the link Simon, but this doesn't recommend any method for
triggering failover, or telling the primary that another server is now
primary.

We've set up a primary server in archive mode to continuously archive to an
NFS mount, and the standby server to continuously recovery from that
directory (although I'm not sure that's actually working... I've probably
overlooked something). The problem we face is working out how to tell the
standby server that it is the primary. Yes this can be done with a trigger
file in /tmp, but how would that automatically appear there? And when the
failed server actually restarted, or the Postgres service restarts, how do
we tell it that it is no longer the primary?

Thanks

Thom