Re: how do I do dump and restore without bugging with constraint?

From: "Net Tree Inc(dot)" <nettreeinc(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Iñigo Martinez Lasala <imartinez(at)vectorsf(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: how do I do dump and restore without bugging with constraint?
Date: 2010-02-24 01:56:35
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-general

Quote: "However if you have to modify table definitions, you will probably
not be able to import data in that new schema and it will be necesary to
look for a new strategy."
For schema, are we talking about attribute columns (structure of table) and
"table definitions" referraled you talking about things like "data types"?If
error came out during restore are related with table definitions then it's
probably no help?I see something related with Deferrable and Initially
deferrable that seems like something could avoid constraints when dumping
and restore, but it has to modify the table or re-create all of them to have
such option (maybe is what you referraled "table definitions"). Is it what
it can be use for to avoid during dumping and restoring?

DEFERRABLE
NOT DEFERRABLE

This controls whether the constraint can be deferred. A constraint that is
not deferrable will be checked immediately after every command. Checking of
constraints that are deferrable can be postponed until the end of the
transaction (using the *SET
CONSTRAINTS*<http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/static/sql-set-constraints.html>command).
NOT
DEFERRABLE is the default. Only foreign key constraints currently accept
this clause. All other constraint types are not deferrable.
INITIALLY IMMEDIATE
INITIALLY DEFERRED

If a constraint is deferrable, this clause specifies the default time to
check the constraint. If the constraint is INITIALLY IMMEDIATE, it is
checked after each statement. This is the default. If the constraint
is INITIALLY
DEFERRED, it is checked only at the end of the transaction. The constraint
check time can be altered with the *SET
CONSTRAINTS*<http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/static/sql-set-constraints.html>command.

--
Steven Huang