Re: full featured alter table?

From: Sven Köhler <skoehler(at)upb(dot)de>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: full featured alter table?
Date: 2003-06-14 17:33:19
Lists: pgsql-general

> You can specify the order that columns are output now. The real
> underlying
> order should really be up to postgres to decide based on what is most
> efficient.

how can i specify it?
i think we all ment cosmetical changes, not the "real" underlying order
which should be up to postgresql of course!

> If you were thinking about the order you get when you use * as a
> shorthand
> for all of the columns, perhaps there could be some way to change that
> without actually changing the order of the columns in the table.

"select *" should refelect the cosmetical order of the columns.
"select *" could be tranformed into something like "select col1, col2,
..." according to the cosmetical order that's defined.
if that's not the case at the moment, i don't care, because i don't use
"select *" by assuming any column-order for the reasons you already
mentioned.