finding a column by name in psql

From: "Guillaume Bog" <guibog(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: finding a column by name in psql
Date: 2007-03-12 15:29:26
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi everyone,

I'm now used to using psql to manage my databases into a terminal, and
I found the very convenient "\g |" command that pipes query result in
any shell tool I want. But I still have hard time finding some columns
in some tables (that may have 300+ cols). I would like to pipe the
result of "\d" mytable in some grep but it doesn't work. I have done
it once or twice by SELECTing pg_attrib but this requires a lot of
typing. I tried to store a procedure but apparently I don't have any
language allowed... I'm sure it could do it but and I wondering if I
missed some simpler command that would allow me to conveniently search
into database structure. i.e. something like "\d mytable *_ts" that
could display all cols in mytable ending with "_ts".

Any advice ?

I'm still on postgresql 7 and will upgrade for new projects.

Guillaume