Re: PostgreSQL 7.3.2 running as NT service under Windows XP not always

From: Frank Seesink <frank(at)mail(dot)wvnet(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL 7.3.2 running as NT service under Windows XP not always
Date: 2003-05-27 18:15:27
Lists: pgsql-cygwin

S. L. wrote:
> Sorry, I've no NT/W2K/XP machine to test but:
>
> #!/bin/sh
> while :
> do
> if [ "$xfirst" != "1" ]
> then
> echo first >/tmp/pgdependservice.log
> xfirst=1
> rm /tmp/.s.PGSQL*
> rm /usr/share/postgresql/data/postmaster.pid
> sleep 15
> else
> echo going... >>/tmp/pgdependservice.log
> sleep 15
> fi
> done
>
> wouldn't do it ?

That's a possibility, but it too has its limitations. First (and quite
critical), where exactly would this script be positioned? As I tried to
explain, NT/2000/XP does not appear to provide a clean mechanism by
which you can introduce commands/scripts during the startup/shutdown
sequence. Second, it appears this is an infinite loop, sucking CPU time
all day long. Not my personal idea of efficiency.

The point is simply that NT/2000/XP does not appear to provide a clean
mechanism by which you can introduce commands/scripts during the
startup/shutdown sequence. There are a variety of ways for getting
around this, but none are really 'clean'. They all involve a hack, and
as I am trying to address the 'newbie' Cygwin/PostgreSQL user, I was
hoping to keep things from getting too *nix-y for those not completely
comfortable with such environments.

I have no interest in debates over whether Cygwin users need to be good
Unix-types, or the whole "Winblows sucks" routine. I simply wanted to
give docs to help newbies try to avoid or at least be aware of the
limitations/issues they might encounter running PostgreSQL in a Windows
world, in as objective a manner as I could.