Still getting VACUUM errors after 7.2.4 upgrade

From: Jeff Boes <jboes(at)nexcerpt(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Still getting VACUUM errors after 7.2.4 upgrade
Date: 2003-04-29 13:21:00
Lists: pgsql-admin

VACUUM is my least favorite PostgreSQL feature ... mostly because it's
caused me the most grief over the last couple of years.

We continue to experience intermittent errors with VACUUM and especially
VACUUM FULL on our 7.2.4 installation. These errors first began to appear
under earlier 7.2.x installations. The most frequent ones are:

ERROR: No one parent tuple was found

NOTICE: Child itemid in update-chain marked as unused -
can't continue repair_frag

For one of the smaller tables experiencing these problems, I've tried
dropping and recreating the table. The largest one with this problem is a
bit too large for me to do this casually; I'd have to plan some
significant down-time.

Are these problems serious? Should I just ignore them until we go to 7.3?

--
Jeff Boes vox 269.226.9550 ext 24
Database Engineer fax 269.349.9076