Re: postgres user account on OSX

From: "Darren Weber" <darren(dot)weber(dot)lists(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Shane Ambler" <pgsql(at)sheeky(dot)biz>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: postgres user account on OSX
Date: 2008-10-14 02:55:58
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi Shane,

I'm trying to untangle some postgresql issues on OSX. I'm now using a
macport installation for postgresql 8.3.4 and I'm using my own custom
Portfile to configure the installation (hardly changed from the main
Portfile, really). Anyhow, the macport install creates a lauchdeamon config
that uses this startup call below. When I test it directly, it's failing:

sudo su postgres -c "/opt/local/lib/postgresql83/bin/pg_ctl -D
${POSTGRESQL83DATA:=/opt/local/var/db/postgresql83/defaultdb} start -w -l
/opt/local/var/log/postgresql83/postgres.log -o \"-i -l\""

waiting for server to start...2008-10-13 19:50:21.734 pg_ctl[43992:617]
CFPreferences: user home directory at /Library/PostgreSQL/8.3 is
unavailable. User domains will be volatile.
server

Have you seen anything like this before? I have no idea what this means:
"CFPreferences: user home directory at /Library/PostgreSQL/8.3 is
unavailable"
It looks like a hangover from using a binary installer and I have no idea
how to get rid of that "CFPreference".

Any tips much appreciated ;-)

Thanks, Darren