Re: SELECT FOR UPDATE

From: ok(at)mochamail(dot)com (Cody)
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: SELECT FOR UPDATE
Date: 2001-08-29 04:08:54
Lists: pgsql-general

Thank you for the considerate reply. I have been trying to figure
this out for the last day or two.

I still wouldn't go near SELECT...FOR UPDATE with a ten-foot pole
anymore. It acquires a ROW SHARE MODE lock, and I cannot quite see
how or why that works. I'm trying out SERIALIZABLE, but I think I'll
just manually implement ROW EXCLUSIVE locks & then use the lock table.
I can see that's not app. level transactions, but it would seem to
require more overhead than app level transactions (because of the need
for the lock table).