PEV is dead, please welcome PEV2!

From: Laura Ricci <laura(dot)ricci(at)dalibo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-announce(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Pierre Giraud <pierre(dot)giraud(at)dalibo(dot)com>
Subject: PEV is dead, please welcome PEV2!
Date: 2019-10-04 14:04:31
Lists: pgsql-announce

*PEV2, Another Query Plan Visualization Tool For PostgreSQL*

====================

PEV2 is a graphical visualization tool to understand PostgreSQL
execution plans.

**Why PEV2?**

You probably already know the simple yet excellent Depesz
<https://explain.depesz.com>. You may also have heard about PEV
<http://tatiyants.com/pev/> which is popular as well and it’s deserved.

The latter is a really great tool in my opinion but unfortunately it
hasn’t been actively maintained for more than 3 years now.

While searching for a javascript library to display an execution plan
into a monitoring tool (temBoard <https://temboard.io>), I wanted to
check if PEV could make a good candidate. It was unfortunately
impossible to use it as is. It seemed abandoned and didn’t fully match
my needs.

Thus I quickly decided to fork it. With great and quick success, given
the fact that it was really well written. Kudos to its author.

To make it very quick, the new project is written using webpack, VueJS,
Typescript, Bootstrap.

**Its main features**

  * |PEV2| is able to parse an execution plan in the default format
returned by |EXPLAIN| (ie. text),

  * it highlights the most relevant values for duration, cost and row
estimation factor,

  * you can choose the way the graph is displayed: 2D or classic.

As the tool is improving quickly, many more features are still to come!

For more information, please visit <https://dali.bo/github_pev2> and
<https://explain.dalibo.com> <https://explain.dalibo.com/>.

Feedback & contributions are welcome!

---
PEV2  is a Dalibo Labs project created and maintained by Pierre Giraud.
Check out Dalibo's open source projects at https://labs.dalibo.com/

--
Pierre Giraud / Laura Ricci
https://www.dalibo.com/