Re: what is the date format in binary query results

From: "Merlin Moncure" <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Samantha Atkins" <sjatkins(at)mac(dot)com>
Cc: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: what is the date format in binary query results
Date: 2007-12-13 02:08:31
Lists: pgsql-general

On Dec 12, 2007 2:14 AM, Samantha Atkins <sjatkins(at)mac(dot)com> wrote:
> This brings up a second question. How should I do byte order
> conversion for 8 byte ints? I can't use hton ntoh routines as they
> max out at 32 bits. Is there a better way? Also, are floating point
> numbers guaranteed uniform?
>
> If any one knows a a clean code example of binary binding of
> parameters and binary extraction of results for all major types in C
> against lippq that would be a very useful thing to have in the
> standard docs.

We are working on a patch (not necessarily to be migrated with the
source code) to allow simplified binding of binary types to native C
types. You can see an older version here: it has examples how to read
off a lot of the types in binary. We should have a new patch in a day
or two that should demonstrate how to read the rest of the types in
binary. We also handled 64 bit ints...

the patch is here
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-patches/2007-12/msg00014.php

if you are patient we can provide examples for all the basic built in
types, including possibly arrays...

merlin

p.s don't top post, but I dig Ron Paul :-)