Re: load the whole database into RAM

From: "Merlin Moncure" <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: filippo <filippo2991(at)virgilio(dot)it>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: load the whole database into RAM
Date: 2007-03-29 18:42:22
Lists: pgsql-general

On 27 Mar 2007 23:43:38 -0700, filippo <filippo2991(at)virgilio(dot)it> wrote:
> I use pgsql to store data for my program (hotel manager). The
> filesystem reports that the size on disk of database is not so bing
> (~100MB ~20MB actual data). I want to tune the engine to fit the
> database as much as possible in RAM, say: postgres, please, use 512MB
> (1GB) of my RAM just for your needs and load everithing on it. Is
> it possible and, of course, effective?
>
> Just taking a look to some tuning document I didn't find a direct
> answer (I'm not a smart guy)

All modern operating systems do this without any extra effort on your
part...all you can really do is get in the way.

Just make sure there is enough ram in the box and let postgresql do
its thing. I think in your case the only thing you should be
considering is to turn fsync on (safe, slow, default) or off (unsafe,
fast).

merlin